Do you want to start an ostrich farm from scratch and make money? Or do you need an example of an ostrich business plan template? then I advise you to read.
The ostrich farm has been around for several decades, but people haven’t paid much attention to it until recently. Since ostriches are not as easy to find as other animals, ostrich breeders earn more than other breeders.
Ostrich eggs can cost up to $ 500, while live ostriches can sell for up to $ 5,000. Yes, this is how ostrich farming can be beneficial.
Starting an Ostrich Farm – Sample Business Plan Template
1. Obtain a license. You will first need to register your business and obtain the necessary license to operate an ostrich farm. You should also write your ostrich farming business plan and study all the rules and regulations pertaining to ostrich farming in your state, including export rules and regulations.
2. Location -: Hey! Ostriches run very fast. They like to run, so you first need to provide them with a very large field for them to breed and also fencing it so that they do not run away.
Additionally, ostriches can grow up to 9 feet, so if you want to build a shelter for them, you need to consider their height. Another thing to consider is water, as ostriches drink a lot of water. You can choose a location next to a stream or build a man-made pond to provide access to an adequate water supply.
3. Reproduction -. Due to the huge start-up costs, it is recommended that anyone looking to get into ostrich farming to start on a smaller scale. You should start with at least 1 male and female ostrich. Due to the high production rate of ostriches, your hands will be full in no time. Therefore, you shouldn’t be afraid to start small.
4 power -: You can feed your ostriches with fruits, tubers, grains, leaves and even small animals. You can also buy foods specially formulated for them to promote growth and productivity.
5. Health … Although ostriches have very strong immune systems and are less likely to get sick, it wouldn’t hurt to have a vet on hand who will be responsible for their health and make sure these costs are met. included in the income statement.
6. Networking -: Ostrich farming is a unique activity that is not as popular as other farming industries, and as a beginner you can sometimes find yourself lost.
That is why you need many networks to successfully run an ostrich breeding business. You should consider joining online forums, watching YouTube videos, and joining ostrich groups or unions if you can find them in your area. There is no limit to what you can learn from other experienced ostrich breeders.
6 benefits of breeding ostriches
I’d like to start by telling you about some of the benefits you could get from ostrich farming before showing you how to start an ostrich business. Some of the benefits of ostrich farming include:
- Profitability -: I already mentioned that an ostrich egg can be sold for $ 500. Now imagine you only sell 10 in 1 month which is a very reasonable estimate considering the growing popularity of ostrich farming. In addition, a live ostrich sells for $ 5,000 each, which is a lot of money.
- High return on investment -: you will also get your investment back in growing ostriches. faster than raising pigs or cattle. An ostrich can produce up to 40 eggs per year, and within 14 months the chicks can grow to market size.
- Meat production -: Many people don’t know that ostriches produce more meat than cows. An ostrich can produce up to 1800 kilograms of meat, and a cow – 250 kilograms.
- Leather -: The ostrich can also produce up to 50 m2. meters of leather that could be sold for profit, except for meat.
- Feathers -: Ostrich feathers are also highly sought after by designers, decorators, and furniture and home decor makers. as an artist. You can get up to 36 kilograms of feathers from an ostrich.
- Easy to lift – … You might think that with the profits they bring in, they will be very difficult to harvest, but this is far from the case since an ostrich farm is as easy as it is profitable. All you need is adequate space, adequate food and medical attention, and you are good to go.
This is very important information for anyone who wants to start an ostrich farm. You need to understand how your farming business can make you money. Ostriches are reusable, which means you have multiple sources of income. Here are some of the ways to make money from ostrich farming:
- Sale of meat -: Ostrich meat is a healthier option for pork, beef, or even fish and is lower in calories and fat, making it very desirable to eat. As well as being healthy, they are also delicious and can sell for $ 12 per kilogram.
- Sale of leather -: The ostrich skin is also very hot. produced because of the quality of the leather that can be obtained from its leather. Materials made from ostrich skin sell for more than bovine skin, and ostrich skin only competes with crocodile and snake skin.
- Sale of feathers -: Part of the ostrich should not be broken because even a feather is useful. Ostrich feathers are used for decoration and furniture and are in demand in the market.
- Sell eggs -: Have you ever seen an ostrich egg? It is the largest bird egg in the world and can weigh up to 1 pound. These eggs can be sold for $ 500 and a single ostrich can lay up to 40 eggs per year.
- Sell a live ostrich -. As the popularity of ostrich farming increases, there is a great demand for live ostriches for people looking to open their own ostrich farm. There is also a demand for live ostriches in the international market.