It’s a career that is an acting career in itself. In the past, movie companies as well as TV agencies have hired permanent makeup artists to work on makeup for one of their projects, but these days freelance makeup artists have taken over the profession. Film companies also find it cheaper to hire freelancers than to keep them on their paychecks.
Being a makeup artist in the film industry is not at all the same as a regular makeup artist. The role of a makeup artist is very important for the overall success of cinema. They work hand in hand with film producers, directors and filmmakers to create the look they want. Have you ever seen a movie where a 25 year old was supposed to get old in a movie? ?
Responsible for creating a new image that would make the actor older. They also need to do it in a way that makes it credible. They are also expert in accentuating functions to make a thin person look fat and vice versa.All those scenes where a person is hot and there are gunshot wounds and blood stains are also the job of makeup artists. . Basically makeup artists help tell the story. If you want to become a makeup artist, here are some skills you need to have:
4 skills you need to do to become a makeup artist
- Ability to work long and indefinite hours -: you must be able to devote a lot of time to work; sometimes undefined. This is not a job where you defined the number of hours worked as 9 to 5 hours of work; This type of work allows you to continue for hours that are sometimes unforeseen.
- Administrative skills -. This is a business and you will be self-employed, so you need to know how to hire to use resources effectively to get the results you want.
- Effective listening and communication skills -: you will work with different types of people and need to know how to communicate with them. You also need to be a good listener and listen to instructions effectively. You also need to be able to read, understand, and interpret information correctly, as you will need to read and understand movie scripts to do your job effectively.
- Creative and creative skills -: Another skill that you must have is creativity. You have to be very creative and be able to use your imagination and visualization to create the look you want.
These are just a few of the basic skills you will need to be successful in your career. cinema makeup artist. Now, before you get to the top there are some very important steps you need to take, including:
How to become a makeup artist for movies
1. Choose a niche … Even in the film industry, there are different types of makeup artists. Some are considered beauty makeup artists and are responsible for making actors look good on screen. There are also others who are responsible for creating some of the special effects mentioned above. We also have makeup artists specializing in airbrushing. Therefore, the first step in starting a career as a makeup artist is to choose your preferred niche by researching different niches and choosing which one you think will be best for you.
2. Learn -: There are specialist makeup schools for beginner makeup artists to study. If you live in the United States, you can find such schools in New York or London if you live in Europe, and there are some in Los Angeles as well. If you can afford it, it’s best to go to schools where you can get professional training and certification, but you can still get one-on-one training from a reputable makeup artist.
3. Create a portfolio. Your portfolio is what you show to potential employers as proof of your competence. When you are done with your training, get yourself a really good camera and some friends who want to be a model for you, now you can start applying different kinds of makeup, as well as different kinds of movies. Put the images in a digital file that you can send with your applications.
4. Start your job search … It’s a very competitive industry and you have to work really hard to find a job, especially if you are new to the industry. It can be difficult for you to get people to trust you with their plans, especially if you’ve never done such big projects before. Therefore, you should consider starting a job as an assistant to a famous makeup artist and then working your way up the career ladder to the point where people can now start to trust you to work on projects on your own. You can also work with management agencies that help makeup artists find jobs.
5.Remember to do free work – … In fact, you can get people to notice you faster by doing some free work. You can watch a low budget movie and talk to the directors about working with them for free; This way you can add more hands-on experience to your portfolio and get more people to notice you, especially if you’re doing a really good job.
6. Connect with people in the industry -: Now is the time to start making friends with people in the film industry. Operators, actors, directors, producers; all of these people can help you find employment in the industry.
7. Acquire new skills: you have to be ready to improve your skills and learn new things. The truth is, there are more makeup artists than there are jobs in the film industry, and your ability to adapt to change and learn new skills is what will help you keep your job. Therefore, you need to regularly learn new skills and keep up with industry trends to always stay one step ahead of your competition.