Are you looking to start an interior design business and want to get into a niche? here are 50 of the best interior design business ideas for 2021.
Interior design is a profession that has many layers and requires creative and technical know-how to decorate it. internal environment. The solutions presented in the interior decoration are not only aesthetic, but also functional and improve the quality of life and the culture of the inhabitant. Projects are created in response and are aligned with the building envelope and take into account the physical location and social context of the project.
The interior design industry is booming and can be a good deal for people who want to work from home. According to the 2010-2011 Development Outlook Guide, the number of interior designers is expected to increase by 20% between 2008 and 2021, from 71,700 designers to 85,600.
This is faster than the average for all professions. The Bureau of Labor Statistics, which publishes the handbook, expects the demand for interior designers to increase in homes and businesses, making them a great career option with plenty of niche employment opportunities. . Here are 50 interior design business ideas you can pursue in the United States of America.
50 best interior design business idea opportunities for 2021
1. Interior Redesign: Instead of the usual way of buying new furniture and decorations for customers, this interior design niche focuses on using existing furniture and accessories designed by other people and to redesign them to give the space a different aspect.
Some redesigns specialize in real estate staging, where a designer rearranges the furniture specifically for real estate visualization to help homes sell faster. Other remodelers work for residential or commercial customers to get a fresh look at a cheaper cost than a full design.
2. Professional Organizer: Many people at home or in the office have a pile of trash cluttering up in their living space and don’t know how to dispose of it. This is where the services of a professional organizer come in. A professional organizer customizes storage and storage systems for the specific needs of each client.
Organizers can also educate organizations on goals and time management skills, and can help organize moves and financial records.
Organizers can also work with businesses to increase productivity through improvements in workflow, recording systems, space planning, and time management practices. The National Association of Professional Organizers offers career counseling, training and certification.
3. Restoration: . This area of interior design requires specific skills or training in carpentry, painting, general construction or plastering. Conservation designers, also known as curators, specialize in the conservation and restoration of antique pieces and furniture.
Many restorers specialize in a specific area of restoration, such as furniture, plaster, antique paints, and painting techniques. Others may specialize in finding accessories and antique materials to use in restoration projects.
4. Design Consulting: Many interior design companies are product-oriented – they offer design advice to clients and sell them furniture and other products to achieve a certain style and “look”. In this interior design niche, the designer derives most of his money from the sale of products.
However, the interior design business can also focus on consulting. In this type of business, a designer sells his advice and expertise and is more often paid by the hour or by the project. For example, they can specialize in children’s bedrooms or feng shui.
5. Artificial painting company . Artificial painting is another niche in the field of interior design. Artificial artists apply decorative finishes to walls, ceilings, floors, furniture and accessories. They use paint, glazes and other media and must be adept at mixing colors and applying only with the right touch. Popular faux finishes today include marbling, gemstones, patina, trompe l’oeil, and stencil.
This purely decorative art form is usually practiced by real artists, although a certain level of skill can be achieved through hands-on training. The work is very technical and pays well. Due to the nature of the work and technical skills, skilled artists can earn $ 400 per day or more, or about $ 60 per hour.
6. Fashionable interior decoration sales: You can start a fashionable interior decoration sales business which is aesthetic. There are several direct selling companies that do design. Starting with one of these businesses can be a good way for newbies to get started in decorating sales.
It is very important that you do thorough research before starting a home business. Check the history and integrity of the company you represent to make sure you are making a wise investment. Study the home business tax laws in your state, as as an independent consultant you will be responsible for your own taxes.
7. We sell artificial flowers: artificial flowers are an integral part of home decoration. They are used in homes, events and occasions, hotels, restaurants and to decorate commercial places.
You can start your artificial flower business at home, but you will need a catalog that you can show to your customers for them to choose from. There are two ways anyone can start this floristic business. You can start it at home and part time. Another way is to open a flower shop
8. Antique Furniture Restoration Business : Antique furniture is never cheap and its owners know it very well: it is much easier to repair when damaged or worn out, rather than replacing it properly. You can start and run this business from home if you are creative and have good carpentry skills. This type of business is very profitable if you are good at what you do.
9. Windows installation: When renovating the building, it is usually necessary to change windows. This need has created a unique business niche. Only by replacing the old windows can a room be completely renovated. Advanced manufacturing methods and materials can be accredited for this rapidly growing industry. It is one of the most sought after interior design services in the world. You can also maximize your income by selling installed windows.
10. Open a fabric store : Fabrics and linens are essential in showcasing the beauty of space when decorating interior. It is a very lucrative retail business in the interior design industry. In addition to fabrics, you can sell sewing patterns, buttons, zippers, curtain rods, sewing machines, other sewing products, and crafts to increase your income.
11. Manufacture and maintenance of cabinet doors : Cabinets and doors are essential to complete the interior of a home. In most cases, decorators ask to have them repaired and repaired. You can start this specialized service delivery service. You can help people acquire new wardrobes or renovate old ones and give them a new look.
12. Tile Sales and Installation Business: The fact that most homes will need new tile during the renovation makes this business related to interior design. To start this business, you must have construction experience and knowledge. Nowadays, people prefer tiles to marble or moving floors. Selling and installing ceramic tiles is a profitable business idea.
13. Start Your Own Furniture Slipcover Business: Furniture always needs slipcovers to add extra beauty and elegance to this room. When it comes to furniture covers, everyone should rely on a custom cover, as covers need to be set to match the colors of the walls or other furniture in the room.
You can also outsource the renowned upholstery service. or a home goods retailer. Note that it is your ability to attract the right customers to the market that will help you be successful in your business.
14. Living room interior lighting: Lights in a house help to highlight its beauty in the dark and create an atmosphere of grace during the day When renovating a house, lights are some of the things. important to consider. Starting a business that sells indoor and outdoor lighting products is a smart move for a new business.
This type of retailing doesn’t require a lot of space, and as a method of reducing start-up costs, you might even consider forming a joint venture with a reputable retailer in your community.
15. Home office planning: As many people transition from working outdoors to working at home, the need for a comfortable place in the home where someone can concentrate has increased. The Home Office Planner is the perfect resource for turning any space into a functional workspace.
With this resource, he or she can create a comfortable space for people where they can feel comfortable for several hours of work. This is another great deal that an interior designer can start.
16. Installation of rooms for the home theater . Home theaters are becoming very popular. People want to enjoy movies from the comfort of their homes. With proper installation and other construction aspects, you can turn a room into a home theater room. Knowing that not everyone wants or can afford home theaters, you need to know who to sell the service to so you don’t waste money on occasional marketing.
17. Video blog . Over 5 billion videos are watched on YouTube every day, and your video could be one of them. If managed well, a YouTube channel can be as profitable or even more profitable than a traditional blog. You don’t need a domain to get started, and you don’t need to spend money on hosting your channel.
You also have a large audience and a ready-to-use platform to work with you. Plus, getting Adsense approved through YouTube is super easy, and what’s more, you can start earning from day one you create your account and post.
You can start a YouTube channel where you can give tips on how to color and decorate. You can just go to YouTube, download the video, and start from there. You can get paid by activating Google Adsense on your channel, through sponsored videos, and by selling your services or those of other users on YouTube. Additionally, as your channel grows, you can also use your channel to promote your services as an interior designer.
18. Sale and Installation of Jacuzzis: Jacuzzis are luxury items that add value to the home. Starting a business specializing in the delivery and installation of hot tubs is quite profitable and can be started from home. You can learn this trade from scratch, but you need to know the plumbing and fixtures to be able to run the business.
If you don’t have this knowledge, you can just go into tub sales and recommend the installers you recommend. If you can’t afford a full store with different brands of hot tubs, you can sell them online or direct.
20. We sell designer shades : designer shades are always in demand. People prefer lamp shades that match other aspects of their space, such as furniture, wall color, and layout. You can also start this business from home. In order not to limit your clientele, since obviously not everyone can afford designer lampshades, you can also buy classic lampshades.
20. Open a mattress and bedding store: Houses should have mattresses if they are habitable, and these mattresses should have bedding. In fact, most homes usually change bedding at regular intervals, without even needing a full interior adjustment. Mattresses and bedding are in demand not only for home use, but also for commercial use in hotels, hospitals, youth hostels, etc. Gross margins are very profitable if you can keep the business going.
21. Supply of balls celebration: The balls of service activity party is certainly not limited to children’s birthdays. Yes, people open their homes after they have furnished it with taste. They are sometimes referred to as a housewarming party.
If you know how to use balloons to create great decorations, you can start selling your home decorating services. You can establish business relationships with catering services, party and wedding planners, etc. to grow your business.
22. Skylight company : A skylight is a light transmitting structure that forms all or part of the space on the roof of a building for daylighting purposes. A skylight lets in a lot more light than a vertical window, so even a small skylight can make a room appear more spacious and airy.
Installing skylights is a great way to illuminate a room, but it should be installed in the right places, so be sure to take the path of the sun into account. Skylights on the south or west side of the roof will catch direct sunlight – lightning facing north or east may not receive direct sunlight.
You can start this home business with little start up capital. Make sure that any skylights you intend to install will comply with local regulations for loading, wind resistance and related factors. Building permits are required for installation in most areas.
23. Start a wallpaper business: Wallpaper is a material used for interior wall decoration in indoor and public buildings. It is usually sold in rolls and applied to the wall with wallpaper paste. Nowadays, wallpapers are becoming very popular.
It is more cost effective than painting the walls. You can start selling and installing wallpapers at retailers as well as at home. You need a very detailed catalog to show your customers so that they can take their pick.
24. Sell Specialty Rugs: Specialty rugs are unique and original printed rugs. There are many ways to approach this business, and the first is to locate and secure a foreign carpet supplier and negotiate an exclusive sales contract and display of their products in the United States.
The second option is to buy high quality used rugs and resell them for profit. Regardless of the approach and development of the business, the fact remains: handmade rugs and carpets are in high demand by consumers and professional decorators.
25. Become a patio furniture retailer. Outdoor furniture, also known as patio furniture or garden furniture, is a type of furniture that is specially designed for outdoor use. It is usually made from weather resistant materials like aluminum which will not rust so bad weather does not destroy it.
Excellent patio furniture brings comfort and functionality to outdoor spaces. A spacious table and comfortable chairs transform a simple brick patio into an exquisite dining venue. If you know a lot about patio furniture, you can start retailing. It is an interesting and lucrative niche in the interior design industry.
26. Become a nursery designer. The nursery is a very important part of the home, especially if the owners are still of childbearing age or expecting it. Knowing how to decorate a nursery that is comfortable for the mother and which also helps to develop the baby’s early cognitive abilities is a very valuable skill. If you have this skill, you can become a nursery designer to help parents plan a home for their newborn baby.
To sell your skills, you can advertise on your social media pages as well as your blog if you have one. You can also meet often where expectant mothers congregate, such as birth classes and baby shops. Leave your flyers and postcards there and you can start waiting for calls.
27. Sell Mosaic Tiles: Mosaic tiles are the right choice for interior and exterior floors and walls, and they consistently hold the market. Making household furniture using mosaics is an exceptional endeavor. Not only can this business be started and managed from home, it is also very inexpensive to start with.
Mosaic tiles can be purchased ready to install, or you can make your own by simply purchasing discontinued styles and colors and collecting broken tiles from local construction and home improvement companies, or you can make your own. . Mosaic tile designs can be marketed through traditional advertising mediums, as well as renting a weekend kiosk in a market or mall.
28. Start serving the kitchen facelift: The kitchen facelift is simply replacing your old kitchen’s doors, drawers and countertops with new ones to fit like gloves and give the kitchen l impression of being completely new. Very often people want to make cosmetic repairs in their kitchen, and this service is indicated under “Interior decoration”.
To start this business, you need to be trained and practiced in the industry. Your customers will also be grateful if you save them money by reusing things that aren’t that bad, but giving them a whole new look. This business won’t cost you anything to start, you just need to share your experience and your ability to promote your business.
29. Indoor TV Show : You can start a show where you help people remodel and decorate their homes. There are many interior designers who broadcast similar shows on TV and they have a lot of viewers.
30. Sale of futons: Futon is traditional Japanese style bedding. A complete set of futons consists of a mattress and a duvet. The two pieces of the futon bedding set are malleable enough to be ventilated, folded, and stored in a large closet throughout the day, allowing the room to serve other purposes than a bedroom. To maximize space, many homes purchase futons. You can start providing these household items for sale. You can also do them if you have the skills.
31. Supervision service. As people move on in life, they accumulate images and in most cases they want to put those images in frames. It is a very good deal to start with because it is also very profitable. The cost of custom framing varies widely depending on the material.
The frames themselves can range from $ 16 to $ 200 per foot. A 7 “x 5” double frosted clear glass for photography costs around $ 120, and an 8 x 10 glass conservation frame for a college diploma costs an average of $ 200.
32. Provide Fireplace Installation : Fireplaces add many benefits to a home. Not only do they add value to your home, but they can also lower your heating costs and provide a nice and comfortable home anywhere. A large fireplace usually indicates that the interior designer has done a great job. To perform this service, they usually turn to fireplace installers. Installing a fireplace is a popular business in the industry and its services are in great demand.
33. Home Preparation Service: Every seller wants their home to sell quickly and generate maximum profit, but in order to sell the house it must be prepared for sale. These are actually people whose job it is to do this, and they are called home buyers.
These people clean, stain, paint, and do whatever makes the home attractive to the buyer. The main activity of this company is to find buildings, businesses and offices for rent and to find suitable tenants for these places. In exchange for your services, you can charge the building owner one month’s rent as payment or rent.
34. Drapery Studio: Drapery is a generic word that refers to fabric or textile. This can apply to fabrics used for decorative purposes, such as around windows. Every home interior needs curtains and decorators will always look for the best and lowest curtains on a big budget. It is another niche industry for interior design.
35. Sale of beds and baths business . A bed and bath company is a company that has beds and tubs of different types and specifications; I think of the bed, the bath and more. No home is complete without beds and baths, and these items take up most of your furniture budget. This is a great business to start, as most of the time people don’t usually compromise on the quality of their beds and baths.
36. Become a wardrobe organizer. A wardrobe organizer is someone who brings common sense to a disorganized wardrobe. People always say they don’t have what to wear, even though their closets are full of clothes.
Professional cabinet organizers offer tips, unique organizing techniques, and systems that can help people get organized and, most importantly, stay organized. To be successful as a wardrobe organizer, you need to have years of experience behind you. You should also be able to provide plenty of links and photos of completed projects as your clients want to see them.
37. Production of office partitions . One office furniture that is often overlooked when planning a renovation is office partitions. With the increasing popularity of open offices, office partitions and screens are increasingly being forgotten.
The right solution for office partitions can help you balance collaboration and focus by allocating special-purpose areas and reducing interruptions. at work. It is a viable niche in the office interior and design industry suitable for contractors with carpentry skills.
38. Manufacture of blinds and blinds on windows. Shades are window coverings with slats or slats that allow the shades to be raised and lowered to cover the window, and also to adjust the opening of the slats when the shades are lowered to let in more or less. light.
The shadow is either open, opening the window, or closed, closing the window. Shutters and blinds are very important elements of interior design. The process of making window shutters is very simple and does not require a lot of space.
The need for wooden shutters and blinds is huge, especially with the recent news that plastic mini blinds can release toxic fumes into the home. The profit margins can be huge for this type of product because there is not a lot of competition in the industry.
39. Blogging: A blog is a stand-alone website that is regularly updated. If you like to write, you can start a blog where you can discuss various topics. You can create a blog where you write about your experience as an interior designer and tips on how to decorate the interior properly.
There are plenty of ways to monetize your blog, so you shouldn’t be sticking with it. only one. You can make money from blogging, advertising on your blog, selling your own courses and books, affiliate marketing, and of course Google Adsense.
The more traffic you have, the more money you will earn. Even if you write on your blog every day but only ten people are looking at it, you won’t make a lot of money. You can also upload photos of homes you’ve worked on and use the tool to attract more customers.
40. Start an Online Home Repair Service: According to the US Census Bureau, Americans spent about $ 43 million on home maintenance and repair in the past year. The advantages of this business are that you can work from home, get started at minimal cost, always do something different, and feel great. People are thrilled when you can save money by doing this job yourself.
You’ll need a variety of home improvement skills, from small plumbing fixtures and small electricians to painting and carpentry. You need people’s skills because you will be dealing with different personalities in their home country. If you have the necessary knowledge and experience, you can start this home business. With the help of the Internet, you can communicate with your customers in real time.
41. Mirror art and installation : Mirror art is simply small pieces of mirror in different colors and shapes that have been put together to look like a painting, a landscape or even an abstract drawing. Nowadays, the production of mirrors is simple and relatively inexpensive. Mirror surfaces can be made from different materials, shapes and sizes.
Therefore, they are often used by artists and architects. If you are an expert in the art of mirroring, start your own business of creating and installing a mirror image of your client’s choice. You can get a solid income from this business because the equipment needed to create the artwork is inexpensive and includes several hand tools and a glass grinder. Also, templates can be used to create a mirror or you can make your own.
42. Sell Landfill Furniture: If you’re looking for a unique home business that has minimal competition and six-figure income potential, look no further. Starting a business that manufactures and sells landfill furniture is very exciting.
The key to its success is creating original yet functional furniture from discarded items that are typically found in the yard or at a landfill. You can make beautiful furniture from this waste and sell it to people who need it for their homes.
It is an innovative company in which competition is still minimal. The business is very profitable and your creativity can set you apart from the competition. You may need some space to display your furniture and decide to sell exclusively online.
43. Start an interior beautification business: When people learn about beautification, the exterior usually comes to mind, but interior landscaping, also known as “landscaping” or “interior landscaping”, does something. something similar to the landscaping. air. Interior landscaping, also known as interior landscaping, is an interior design department that focuses on houseplants and containers inside buildings and offices.
An interior landscaper will design, place and maintain the plants in the enclosed space. Landscape designers need to have an idea of angles, horizons, colors, sculptural elements and focal points, just as landscape designers would. Besides residential houses, there is a strong demand for interior improvement of commercial spaces. This green business allows you to start with little start-up capital.
44. Becoming a painter : A painter and decorator is responsible for painting and decorating buildings. The purpose of painting is to improve the appearance of a building and protect it from water damage, rust, corrosion, insects and mold. Painting at home is a very simple matter. It only requires a small investment and an even smaller learning curve.
45. Manufacture and sale of heads of art reads: A headboard is a great way to decorate your room visually. But the point is, your headboard doesn’t have to be a headboard. A huge framed piece of art can do the same job for you, giving your bedroom or guest room a ton of unique style.
The headboard is one of the hobbies hitting the industry and is quite pretty and always in demand. If you have the skills, you can use your creativity using different types of materials like wood, glass, leather, etc.
46. Podcaster Interior Design: A podcast is like a personal radio show where you talk about specific topics. You can create a podcast that covers interior decorating topics. Before you think about monetizing your podcast, you need to make sure that it contains rich and engaging content. You can monetize your podcast through sponsorship, affiliate marketing, or even selling your own product.
47. Decorative Cushions : A decorative cushion (also called a decorative cushion) is a small decorative cushion made from a wide range of fabrics, including cotton, linen, silk, leather, microfiber, suede, chenille and velvet. Cushions are the most creative way to add style or bring new ideas and life to your home.
They are commonly used to attach colorful accents in a room, often painting colors in draperies, walls, or an area. carpet. From a functional point of view, decorative pillows can provide support for the back, neck and head. Designer pillows are essential items not only for the bed, but also for the sofa and any type of seat. The business is profitable and you can run it from home.